1. Observe your child. Find yourself directly in the moment with them and experience them more clearly now. Look deeply into their eyes and experience the color fully. Now stay there a while allowing yourself to dive deeply down into their soul through the window of their eyes. Notice their expression when they look more deeply back at you discovering your depth as well. Don’t say a word.
2. Take every opportunity you can to hug and kiss your child. Lift them from their bed. Hug and kiss them. Lift them from their highchair. Hug and kiss them. Redirect them with a hug and kiss. Greet them with a hug and kiss. Give them the space they need, then hug and kiss them upon their return.
3. Hide your mobile phone. Turn off the television. Put the computer to sleep. Be fully present with your child in their favorite activity if only for a short while. Be captivated by their words. Truly. Listen fully to their thoughts. Give them the floor. Celebrate this precious time you have with them. Do it again. Often.
4. In that moment when you think you shouldn’t be patient any longer. When you’ve reached “the end of your rope.” When your child has pushed all of your buttons and then some. Extend more love. Offer a kind word beyond what you think is deserved. And then some more. See what happens.
5. Attempt to experience your child as someone other than your child. Talk with them as if they don’t belong to you. Notice any change in the level of respect you feel toward them. Marvel at their beauty.